Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Really Thought An Angel Was Gonna Steal My Rent.

I'm trying to picture him now, but all I remember was his shoes.

I had picked up a money order from the convenience store and was walking home to deposit my share of the rent. He called at me from the behind-store alley where there was a notorious homeless "camp".

I told him I had no change on me. He said he didn't want money, he just wanted to ask me something. I could barely hear his question, so despite my best instincts I approached him and asked him to repeat.

"If you could ask God anything right now, what would it be?" he asked. "Now's your chance..."

I'd never seen him before. If he really was homeless, he sure had some shiny shoes on.

"C'mon man," he continued, "isn't there anything you always wanted to know?"

My head started to spin a little. I replied that any question I had would probably be very personal.

"What have you got to hide?" he said. "Just ask anything. Anything at all."

But my mind had went blank, and I became more and more conscious of the several hundred dollar unsigned money order in my pocket. I told him I had to get home.

"Suit yourself." he said, and I purposefully strode home.

I stole one last glance behind me, and there was no trace that anyone was ever there.

No comments:

Post a Comment