Saturday, July 10, 2010

THE PLAN. A Work Of Fiction (Or Not?).

Originally written April 2005.

I thought it was all over. I had convinced myself defeat was inevitable, that my personal nihilism was reinforced by a cruel and random universe. I felt that overall, there was no rational reason to hope for anything better.

This hopelessness even began to manifest itself, not just personally, but also in my love life. Those few times when someone could stand to be around me for more than a couple of weeks quickly disintegrated from passion to petty bitterness.

I felt I was at an impasse, and wondered how many more dead-end jobs and doomed relationships I could endure. I decided to end it all.

I sat on the railing of the overpass, waiting for the right moment to jump. Suddenly, the frantic blaring of a car horn startled me so much I almost toppled over.

The man inside called out to me... "It's not all over! Defeat is not inevitable! I can help you!" It was like he had read my mind. Without quite knowing why, I approached and got in his car.

I asked him how he knew that I was going to jump. To the average passerby, I must have looked like any other pedestrian on the overpass.

"I've seen that look before." he replied. "I remember feeling not unlike that myself, before I discovered that which has restored my hope, my truth and my life... "

After a dramatic pause he continued, "...Have you ever heard of THE PLAN?" I admitted that I had not.

He went on to tell me how once he accepted THE PLAN into his heart and his life that he had felt the change instantaneously and has kept that initial sense of security and peace ever since. He asked me if I was beginning to feel the urge to accept THE PLAN into my heart and my life. Being a natural skeptic, I asked for more information.

"Do not harden your heart! Would you like me to drop you off back at the overpass, so you can continue what you were about to do? Of course not! The very fact that you are here in this car and asking for more information shows that you are ready to take that first step. But I will only continue if I am sure you will receive this gift with an open heart. Are you ready to open your heart to the message of THE PLAN?"

After I sheepishly nodded my head, he continued: "So many of us are not using our full potential. Some might say we are being persecuted by an outside force, a sort of negative entropy. I can see in your eyes that you are virtually drowning in this evil force. But a release from the chains has emerged. We have a savior. THE PLAN has come to return our potential to us. THE PLAN has many names, but we must never speak them. The persecution on this plane is too great."

He then reached into his glove compartment and brought out a pamphlet and laid it into my lap. He insisted I examine it, in order to take the next step in gaining the knowledge and power promised by THE PLAN.

It was a catalog, not unlike the kind I find in my mailbox practically daily. I expressed my confusion.

"After all this progress, you cannot harden your heart to me now! You are so close to taking that important first step! That catalog is not similar to the kind you are used to! For a small one time fee, the items in that catalog are available to you at bulk price, the same paid for by stores before their markup! Wouldn't that be great in and of itself? So many of those that accept THE PLAN into their hearts and lives just take advantage of that great offer and find contentment that way. However, the real benefits come in when you go into the world to teach of THE PLAN, and to convert other lost souls to the truth of personal fulfillment!"

"But isn't that just like Am-" I managed to say before he silenced me harshly.

"Do not speak the name of THE PLAN! As I said, the persecution in this plane of existence is too great! You cannot tell me that after learning of this, that you want to go back to your life before hearing of THE PLAN! The benefits are great, and practically eternal! All you need to do is open your heart! It asks nothing of you, but you get what you put in!

Even if you want time to decide, THE PLAN will be here for you when you come back. Please do not surrender to the forces that I can see pervade and threaten your entire current existence.

You did not even have to search, THE PLAN found you! If I had driven over that overpass minutes or even seconds later, you would not be here to argue the merits of THE PLAN! Is that not proof enough of the wisdom and power of THE PLAN? It is a force outside and beyond human comprehension! And I am prepared to Initiate you into true communion with it! Please say you will open your heart, and pay the small introductory fee!"

And at that moment, I released myself from mortal law and accepted THE PLAN into my life. He was right, the sense of peace was instantaneous and resides with me even now. And only for a small introductory fee.

I have never been happier. I understand now.

Have you ever heard of THE PLAN?

No comments:

Post a Comment